Every Home Needs a Hobby Room

Home Electrical System: 5 Signs That You Have A Major Problem On Your Hands

by Ryan Wright

Without an electrical license, it can be hard to identify the culprits of electrical problems in your home. However, as a homeowner, you can take charge by knowing what to look for and know what signs indicate that there is a problem that requires the help of a professional. Here are a few signs that indicate a repair or replacement is necessary for your home electrical system:

Circuit Breaker Constantly Tripping

If your circuit breaker is frequently tripped, then there is some form of a problem with your wiring. Sometimes, the circuit could be overloaded. This means that the current that is being transmitted is more than the breaker is designed to handle. Therefore, the circuit breaker trips so as to prevent damage to the overall electrical system.  In other instances, there may be a faulty appliance that is connected to the tripping circuit causing it to short.

Dimming Lights

Lights dimming throughout the house is pretty common and many homeowners will ignore it. However, dimming lights could be a sign that the circuit has too much on it, particularly big appliances that require a lot of juice, such as your HVAC system. It could also mean that the electrical wiring that runs to the dimming lights could be defective or installed improperly. In some cases, the wiring may be outdated throughout the whole house and is unable to handle today's modern load.

Flickering Lights

When your lights flicker instead of dim, it is usually a sign that there is damage with the wiring inside the electrical fixture. However, it could also occur if the service conductors are loose, which can lead to them creating more heat than usual. This can lead to damage within the main breaker and could even cause a fire.

Buzzing Outlets and Switches

If the light switches and electrical outlets in your home have been making a buzzing noise, even if it is just a small one, it could be a sign of several things. One problem could be that there is loose electrical wiring inside the electrical box that has become loose and needs to be re-engaged. It could also b e a sign that there is something wrong with the device that is plugged in. All of these are true if the outlet faces and cover plates are hot when you touch them.

Plastic Burning Scent

Although it is unlikely you will smell plastic burning, if you do, it means that your electrical writing is faulty and damaged. Usually, the scent is very faint, which is why most homeowners never smell it. However, if you are able to catch whiff of the smell, you need to immediately get a professional out to check it out.

All of these signs show that there is an issue with your electrical wiring somewhere and to some extent. When electrical writing ids damaged, it needs to be repaired or replaced as soon as possible by a professional from a company like Miller & Humphrey Plumbing & Electric Inc. to ensure your home, belongings and family are completely safe from any unnecessary hazard. 

Share